Although women and men share many common problems that require physiotherapy intervention, there are some specific conditions which constitute “Women's Health”. These include a number of problems associated with pregnancy, recovery from birth and post partum issues. Our physiotherapists are qualified to assist you with a wide range of Women’s Health conditions such as:
- Pregnancy Conditions: Issues experienced during pregnancy such as pelvic, back and neck pain, Sacroiliac Joint (SIJ) pain, Pubic Symphysis dysfunction, sciatica related to pregnancy, postural dysfunction and carpal tunnel (wrist and/or thumb pain) as well as pelvic floor muscle weakness.
- Post-Natal Care: Breastfeeding problems such as mastitis, engorgement and blocked milk ducts, post cesarean and tear care, pelvic floor muscle, prolapse and continence issues post-delivery, diastasis rectus abdominis (gap) rehab, and with any post-birth musculoskeletal complaints.
- Post-Natal Check-ups: Post-natal check-ups are best done from 2 weeks post vaginal delivery and from 6 weeks post cesarean to 6 months after birth. This includes pelvic floor muscle assessment; abdominals assessment; musculoskeletal assessment (if indicated); and the provision of an appropriate exercise and fitness program if requested.
- Pelvic Pain: Chronic pelvic pain or pain with intercourse, such as vaginismus and dyspareunia.
- Incontinence, Urgency and Prolapse: Conservative treatment can be provided for these issues, including addressing bladder and bowel habits, and improving abdominal wall and pelvic floor form and function. In addition, our Women’s Health physiotherapists have special skills in the treatment of pelvic floor weakness and urinary or faecal incontinence. This includes post hysterectomy care.
At Southside Physiotherapy Dr. Irmina Nahon, Kerri Edwards, Jess Andriolo, Kaitlyn Tandy and Kylie Faulks are trained in Women's Health. With their lovely manners and knowledge they would love to help you to make a difference in your overall wellbeing and quality of life. Please contact us to make an appointment or to discuss your particular needs.
Helping you make a difference in your wellbeing and quality of life.