Lower back pain – Physio Canberra
Low back pain is one of the most common types of injury treated at Southside Physiotherapy. Most people tend to experience some degree of low back pain during their lifetime, and back pain can occur for a variety of different reasons.
It is not unusual for people to know someone who has had ‘chronic’ lower back problems for years, and a lot of our clients are desperate not to become ‘that person’ whose back never seems to get better. The great news is, with the right treatment and exercise program, one of our brilliant physiotherapists can get you back on the right track.
The best way of determining the right treatment program is by ascertaining what the cause of the problem is. The most common causes are listed below, but every person is different and will need a program tailored to their needs.
What are the common back injuries that physio can help with?
- Disc injuries
- Joint pain/tightness
- Spondyloarthropathies (Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Psoriatic Arthritis)
- Muscle pain/spasm
- Strength deficits / lower back and trunk muscle strength
- Nerve pain, pinched/compressed nerve (radiculopathy)
How can physio help back pain?
- Manual therapy (joint mobilsation, manipulation)
- Dry needling
- Myofascial release
- Strength and neuromuscular retraining
- Adjusting behavioral and lifestyle factors associated with the pain
- Teaching correct ergonomics, technique and safe ways to exercise
- Explaining your injury and addressing any sensitivity in the nervous system