At Southside Physio we provide comprehensive assessment and treatment of Jaw (TMJ or Temporomandibular Joint) pain.
This region is considered to be a speciality area given it's complexity in pathology, anatomy and biomechanics. It is also not taught in depth through most of the Australian Physiotherapy Curriculum. Bjarne Kragh (Founding Director of Southside Physio) has specialised in the assessment and treatment of TMJ pain and dysfunction for the last 25 years. He is also the current guest lecturer of the TMJ in the University of Canberra's Physiotherapy Program. We are also very blessed to have Martin Pogson with 20 years and Michael Bellantonio with 15 years of experience in this region. Due to the training run by these physios, the majority of our physios are comfortable and confident in the assessment and treatment of Jaw Pain.
There may be many reasons why you present with pain in the Jaw:
- Neck stiffness and postural/workloads
- Clenching teeth at night time (Bruxism)
- Trauma to neck/face/jaw
Some of our treatment's may include
- Manual therapy, mobilisation of the Jaw and surrounding muscles
- Dry needling of the Jaw
- Neuromuscular retraining of the Jaw
- Management of neck stiffness, postural habits and loads
- Strength training in the upper body, neck and shoulders to facilitate healthy patterns of load and movement
- Referral to an expert TMJ dentist, GP or specialist for adjunctive treatment
Watch this short video on some of our most commonly prescribed exercises for the Jaw. This can be a good place to start if you are suffering from Jaw pain. However if you don't feel they are quite right for you, please book in for an assessment and individualised program.
For more health related podcasts follow the link to Bjarne's podcast Viking Talks