Physiotherapy Support For The Elderly
Exercise for the elderly in Canberra
As our bodies age the efficiency of all its systems declines and as a result the ageing process is often associated with decreased strength and flexibility, reduced balance and reduced coordination. These can have a variety of impacts including;
- Declining mobility and function
- Increased falls risks
- Increased injury risk
- Chronic pain
- Loss of independence.
However, it doesn’t have to slow you down!
Evidence suggests that there are many active ways that you can minimize the impact of aging on your quality of life. Physiotherapy has an enormous role to play in ensuring that elderly members of our community continue to enjoy the highest quality of life for as long as possible.
Quality aged care services involve many different services that can be tailored to suit your individual needs.
How can physio help the elderly?
1. Education and Treatment of a wide variety of conditions including;
Musculoskeletal: Acute Fracture Rehabilitation, Muscle Tears, Osteoarthritis, Lower Back Pain, Chronic Pain, Overuse Injuries
Neurological: Stroke Rehabilitation, Multiple Sclerosis Rehabilitation, Parkinson’s Rehabilitation, Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation, Acquired Brain Injury Rehabilitation, Motor Neuron Disease Rehabilitation
Cardio-respiratory: COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), Cardiac Rehab, Post-Cardiac Surgery Rehab, Post-Pulmonary Surgery Rehabilitation
2. Mobility Assessments and Walking-Aid Prescription
3. Functional screening
4. Tailored exercises to address mobility and functional goals
5. Soft Tissue Therapy for pain management
6. Manual Therapy for pain management
7. Balance and falls risk assessment
8. Injury assessment and management
9. Goal Setting and planning for the future
DVA, NDIS, Aged Care exercise, and treatment
We host a range of exercise classes that are suitable for any of our aging population. Please see our CLASSES page for more information.
Where do we help the elderly?
- In clinic
- Mobile appointments to the home
- LDK and other aged care facilities
- Online/telehealth consults
- Through government / publicly funded grants in the allied health/aged care space.
NDIS Support Coordinators or Aged Care Providers can submit referral forms for participants here.